top of page

Everything about Zlaté návrší
and its surroundings in Krkonoše Mountains

Zlaté návrší with a height of 1411 m above sea level is one of the most beautiful places in the Krkonoše Mountains. Its ridge lies between Medvědín and the Kotle massif (1435 m above sea level).


Together with it and Lysa hora (1343 m above sea level) they form the most prominent mountain trio of the Krkonoše Mountains. About 400 m from the summit, Vrbatova bouda stands in the saddle, from where routes lead to the source of the Elbe or to Horní Mísečky. From there, along the tourist route and the Labská cable car, we can reach both the pair of mountain huts Pod Zlatý návrším and Špindlerův Mlýn.


The slope near Labská was first inhabited at the end of the 16th century, and currently there are mountain huts and the Clarion Wellness Hotel. In 1916, the construction of the Labská dam was completed, which captures most of the snow water in the central Krkonoše Mountains and completes the beautiful landscape element in the river valley.


History of the place

The Krkonoše Mountains were also called the Sudeten Mountains in the Middle Ages, and this name was probably derived from the Celtic language and also meant Boar Mountains. It is interesting that these mountains were already mentioned by an ancient astronomer

and the geographer Ptolemy.


The location of the Krkonoše Mountains in the middle of Europe determined that the development of the mountain range was not only directed by natural laws, but also significantly influenced by man.


In the beginning, the main impetus for man's penetration into the mountains was mainly the effort to exploit the mineral wealth. Colonists from different parts of Europe searched for gold, silver, precious stones and ore deposits in the Giant Mountains.


Between the 12th and 16th centuries, mining, mining and the processing of iron ore were among the most frequent livelihoods of the inhabitants, and the Krkonoše Mountains became the most important area in the Czech lands in this regard.


In the 14th and 15th centuries, Vlachs - foreigners from Venice and seekers of gold, silver and precious stones - came to the Krkonoše Mountains and carried out prospecting activities. Traces of their activities disappeared over time, but their mysterious written records of the journeys to the treasure deposits, the so-called Wallachian Books, have survived.

"The Italians who travel to the Sudeten Mountains to search for gold wash sand mixed with mica from the streams

and gems in a long, flat trough, hollowed out of a single piece of log and open at one end. This bed is then placed in the stream so that the water does not flow violently into it, but floats through it deliciously. Then they throw sand and mix with a shovel adapted to the shape of the riverbed. To prevent the gold and garnet grains from escaping together with the light sand, they close the open side with a modified board, which is, however, lower than the side wall of the trough. Grains of gold and garnets, which settle together with the heavier sand at the bottom, are washed in another container, packed in leather jackets and taken with them...". Georgia Agricola, De re metellica libri (1556).

757A0262 Up Fin.JPG

Activities in and around the place today

The strategic location of the cottages offers many winter and summer activities. Ski and cross-country trails are in operation

up to 5 months a year. In the summer months, there are ideal conditions for hiking and mountain biking.


In Špindlerův Mlýn, you will find, among other things, an aqua park, a bobsleigh and toboggan run, a ropes course, minigolf, quad bikes, a zip line, aqua zorbing, off-road scooters and a scooter track.

From the very center of Špindlerův Mlýn, which is approx. 2.5 km from the cottages, you can go on a beautiful trip. It is here that the oldest hiking route Krkonoše - Harrachovská cesta begins, which leads to Labská bouda. The hike to the highest peak of our mountains - Sněžka (1603.3 m above sea level) starts from the same place.

You will also see countless beautiful places on the tourist routes through Horní Mísečky, the Elbe spring, Sněžné jamy

and Labská bouda. In the vicinity of the cottages "Under the Golden Hill" there is the Špindlerova bouda,

or the ruins of Peter's hut, whose history goes back 200 years.

If you head to the southeast, the tourist routes to Výrovka, Fries' huts, or Na Rozcestí cottage lead here.



bottom of page